Last week, the situation escalated along the contact line of Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-majority autonomy that proclaimed independence from Azerbaijan in 1991. Armenia and Azerbaijan waged war over the disputed territory until 1994, and since the end of the war both sides have been holding peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group.

Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Defence accused Armenian forces of attacking the city of Terter on Monday, promising to retaliate in kind. The ministry also claimed that servicemen destroyed at least two Armenian tanks amid the recent clashes. At the same time, Yerevan said that Azerbaijan is continuing to attack the region using heavy artillery.

Military hostilities erupted between the two sides on Sunday along the contact line of Nagorno-Karabakh, an Armenian-majority autonomy that proclaimed independence from what was then Soviet Azerbaijan in 1991, with each side blaming the other for putting civilian lives in danger.

Multiple casualties have been reported by both sides. Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh declared martial law and general mobilisation on Sunday, while Azerbaijan declared partial martial law, but refrained from mobilisation.

Numerous countries and international organisations, including the United Nations, have called on the conflicting parties to immediately cease fire and return to an OSCE-facilitated dialogue without preconditions.

  • 12:37

    Azerbaijani Oil Company SOCAR Confirms Pipelines Safety Amid Karabakh Tensions

    The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) told Sputnik on Monday that the Azerbaijani army guaranteed continuation of commercial operations, and pipelines safety amid clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh.

    “As of now, pipelines safety and systematic continuation of commercial operations is secured thanks to containment measures by Azerbaijan’s defending army,” SOCAR spokesman Ibrahim Ahmedov said.

    According to Ahmedov, Russia’s energy giant Lukoil is engaged in the Southern Gas Corridor project — which envisions the construction of a gas supply route from Caspian and Mideastern regions to Europe — along with SOCAR, BP and other international partners.

  • 12:31

    Armenia Preparing for Long-Lasting War Over Nagorno-Karabakh, Prime Minister’s Adviser Says

    Armenia is preparing for a long-standing war over the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region, Vagharshak Harutyunyan, the chief adviser to Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, said on Monday, amid an escalation between Yerevan and Baku in the area, adding that Turkey is pursuing it geopolitical interests in the conflict.

    “We are preparing for the long-term war. Why? Because I keep telling that the main player here is not Azerbaijan, but Turkey. It pursues its own geopolitical interests. The duration of the war will depend on many factors, including how the fighting goes and the reaction of the international community,” Harutyunyan, who worked as the Armenian defense minister in the late 1990s, told a Latvian YouTube channel in an interview.

    The adviser recalled that dozens of casualties had already been reported by both sides of the conflict.

  • 12:16

    Armenian Defence Minister Arrives in Stepanakert, Nagorno-Karabakh


    ©
    Sputnik /
  • 12:12

    Minsk Confirms Readiness to Promote Dialogue Between Armenia, Azerbaijan

    Belarus is ready to do everything possible to promote dialogue between Armenia and Azerbaijan and assist the solution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

    “We are not just urging, but sincerely asking Azerbaijan and Armenia, which are both our important partners, to halt combat operations, reject use of weapons and find ways toward peaceful settlement, including through the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s Minsk group. We confirm readiness to provide any assistance that is needed in order to promote dialogue between the sides in this format or other formats that they find appropriate,” the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

    The ministry also expressed concerns over use of heavy weapons and aviation in the conflict area.

    “Today, the most important thing is to stop the bloodshed as soon as possible and avoid new victims. Human lives are invaluable, so it is extremely important to make effort toward regional peace and stability,” the Belarusian Foreign Ministry went on to say.

  • 11:34

    Azerbaijani Armed Forces Able to Respond in Kind if Armenia Uses Iskander Missile System, FM Says

    Baku has proportionate response to use if Armenia uses its Iskander missile systems, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov told Sputnik on Monday as the two countries’ conflict flared up over the past few days.

    “Unfortunately, anything can be expected from Armenia. It is hard for me to comment from the military point of view, what response there would be …. I am sure that the Azerbaijani forces have adequate response,” the minister said, when asked what the response could be if Armenia used Iskanders.

  • 11:22

    Turkey’a Erdogan Says It’s Time to End Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis

    The Turkish president said on Monday the OSCE Minsk Group had been unable to solve the conflict over the disputed Karabakh region.

    “In 30 years, they have been unable to solve this issue. And they have done everything so that it would not be solved. And now they are teaching us, and sometimes threatening us. They ask us if there are Turkish military there [in Karabakh]. If Turkey is supplying weapons. Those who ask this have sent thousands of trucks with weapons to the north of Syria,” Erdogan said, referring to the US support of the Syrian Kurds, who are considered an offshoot of a terrorist organization by Ankara.

  • 11:05

    EU Calling on Warring Parties in Karabakh to Do Everything Possible to Prevent New War

    The European Union is calling on all sides in the Karabakh conflict to do everything possible to prevent a new war and avoid foreign interference, EU Spokesman Peter Stano said Monday.

    “We urge everyone to do everything they can in order to prevent an all-out war from breaking out,” Stano told a press conference.

    The spokesman added that the escalation carried serious risks for the regional stability.

    The European Union is calling on all regional powers to help stop the armed conflict.

  • 10:50

    Berlin Calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to Cease Fire, Resume Negotiations

    The German government assesses the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh as very dangerous and calls on Armenia and Azerbaijan to immediately halt combat operations, using mechanisms of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), cabinet spokesman Steffen Seibert said on Monday.

    “The government sees the escalation of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict as a very dangerous development. We call on both sides to immediately cease fire and resume negotiations. There is a special platform for this purpose, the OSCE Minsk group,” Seibert said at a briefing.

    A spokeswoman for the German Foreign Ministry noted that Berlin maintained contact with both sides, through its embassies.

  • 10:43

    Pieces of ‘Azerbaijani Drone’ Downed by Armenian Forces Caught on Camera – Video

    Armed drone Bayraktar

    Pieces of ‘Azerbaijani Drone’ Downed by Armenian Forces Caught on Camera – Video

    The Nagorno-Karabakh region has been disputed between Armenia and Azerbaijan since the late 1980s, when the two nations were Soviet republics. Since the end of the Nagorno-Karabakh War in 1994, the two sides have held peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group.

    Read more

  • 10:31

    Armenian Defence Ministry Posts Video of Airstrike on Azerbaijani Military Equipment

    https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

  • 10:26

    Kremlin Calls For Immediate Ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh Amid Clashes Between Armenia, Azerbaijan

    An Armenian serviceman of the self-defense army of Nagorno-Karabakh launch artillery toward Azeri forces in the town of Martakert in Nagorno-Karabakh region

    Kremlin Calls For Immediate Ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh Amid Clashes Between Armenia, Azerbaijan

    Clashes between the two countries erupted on Sunday, with both Yerevan and Baku accusing each other of starting the hostilities. Azerbaijan has declared a partial mobilisation while Armenia has ordered a full one amid the escalating tensions.

  • 10:25

    EU Warns Against Interference in Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict

  • 10:16

    Nagorno-Karabakh Flare-Up: Azerbaijani Forces Publish Video of ‘Armenian’ Tanks Allegedly Eliminated

    A picture taken on February 16, 2015 shows an Armenian serviceman guarding an area near the village of Movses, close to the border with Azerbaijan

    Nagorno-Karabakh Flare-Up: Azerbaijani Forces Publish Video of ‘Armenian’ Tanks Allegedly Eliminated

    The conflict between Baku and Yerevan in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, which declared independence from Azerbaijan in 1991, again escalated on Sunday, with both sides accusing each other of starting the hostilities. Armenia declared a full mobilisation, while Azerbaijan has partially mobilised its forces.

  • 10:15

    EU Commissioner Calls on Warring Parties in Nagorno-Karabakh to Protect Civilians

    European Commissioner for Crisis Management Janez Lenarcic called on Monday on the sides of the ongoing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure.

    “I call on all sides of the #NagornoKarabakh conflict to do everything necessary to ensure that civilian life and infrastructure is protected in line with their obligation to respect the principles of the international humanitarian law,” Lenarcic wrote on Twitter.

  • 10:07

    Azerbaijan’s MoD Says It’s Military Destroys Two More Armenian Tanks

  • 09:21

    Video of Azerbaijani Military Using TOS-1 System in Nagorno-Karabakh Released by Armenia

    Military conflict in Karabakh

    Video of Azerbaijani Military Using TOS-1 System in Nagorno-Karabakh Released by Armenia

    The Nagorno-Karabakh region has been disputed between Armenia and Azerbaijan since the late 1980s when the two nations were Soviet republics. Since the end of the Nagorno-Karabakh War in 1994, the two sides have held peace talks mediated by the OSCE Minsk group.

    Read more

  • 09:13

    Macron Expresses Concern Over Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis in Phone Talks With Aliyev

    The Armed Forces of Azerbaijan are fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh

    Macron Expresses Concern Over Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis in Phone Talks With Azerbaijani President

    BAKU (Sputnik) – French President Emmanuel Macron has expressed concerns over the growing tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh in phone talks with his Azerbaijani counterpart, Ilham Aliyev, the press service of the latter said on Monday.

  • 08:52

    Around 30 Armenian Soldiers Killed in Clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh, Ambassador Says

    Around 30 Armenian servicemen were killed and 100 others injured in clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenian Ambassador to Russia Vardan Toganyan said on Monday.

    “According to the latest data, there are around 30 fatalities and 100 injuries, but we are still making effort to establish more precise information. I am now talking about the military,” Toganyan said.

  • 07:53

    Armenian Ambassador Calls for OSCE Involvement in Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis

    A T-64 tank of the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army on the first line of defense.

    Armenian Ambassador Calls for OSCE Involvement in Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Armenian Ambassador to Russia Vardan Toganyan expressed the belief that co-chairs of the Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk group should quickly react to the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.

    Read more

  • 07:45

    Azerbaijani Prosecutors Say Number of Civilians Injured in Karabakh Clashes Reaches 26

    The number of civilians injured in clashes in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region has grown to 26 in the past 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office told Sputnik on Monday.

    “Armenia’s military and political leadership continue attacks on civilians, multiple houses, civilian infrastructure and economic facilities in gross violation of obligations emanating from the Geneva conventions. They choose densely populated areas as their targets, including district and rural centres, and civilian infrastructure facilities, such as hospitals, medical centres, schools and kindergartens. As many as 26 civilians have been hospitalized with various bodily injuries,” the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office said.

    Azerbaijani prosecutors reported 19 injured civilians on Sunday.

  • 07:21

    Beijing Expresses Hope That Relevant Sides Exercise Calm and Restraint

  • 07:17

    Yerevan Could Ask Russia to Deliver More Weapons, But This Isn’t On Agenda so Far, Armenian Ambassador Says

    Yerevan is ready to seek new deliveries of Russian weapons if such a need arises, but foreign military assistance is currently not on the agenda, Armenian Ambassador to Russia Vardan Toganyan told Sputnik on Monday.

    “Foreign military assistance to Armenia is not on the agenda so far,” Toganyan noted.

    The ambassador praised the Yerevan-Moscow partnership.

    “Our defence cooperation is developing, arms deliveries agreements are being implemented as scheduled. The situation is now changing, we now have a third side, Turkey. If such a need arises, we will certainly make relevant requests … to Russia, first of all,” Toganyan explained.

  • 06:50

    Azerbaijan Declares Partial Mobilisation Amid Nagorno-Karabakh Escalation

    Azerbaijan has declared partial mobilization of reserve servicemen amid the escalation of tensions with Armenia in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, the presidential press service told Sputnik on Monday.

    “Azerbaijani President [Ilham Aliyev] has signed a decree about partial mobilization in Azerbaijan,” the press service said.

    The order comes into force on the day of its signing.

  • 06:03

    Azerbaijan Says Its Forces Claimed High Point Near Settlement of Talysh

    “Units of the Azerbaijani Army, advancing from the heights and advantageous positions liberated from the armed forces of Armenia, continue their counteroffensive in order to consolidate the achieved success. By launching missile-artillery and air strikes on enemy positions, it forced them to retreat from the positions they were trying to hold”, the statement says.

  • 05:27

    Nagorno-Karabakh MoD Says Republic Reсlaimed Several Positions, Pressed Azerbaijani Forces Back

    “At night, intensive fighting continued in the southern, southeastern, and northern directions of the front line. As a result of a counterattack, troops from the [Nagorno-Karabakh] Defence Army inflicted heavy losses on enemy personnel and military equipment. The Defence Army restored a number of previously lost positions”, the statement says.

  • 05:16

    Armenia Accuses Azerbaijan of Using Heavy Artillery Against Nagorno-Karabakh

    According to the Armenian Defence Ministry, Baku used BM-30 Smerch heavy rocket launchers against Nagorno-Karabakh. A photo and a video, allegedly depicting shrapnel from a rocket has been shared by users on social media.

    Մարտակերտի վրա կրակել են Սմերչով` թիրախավորելով խաղաղ բնակչությանը, բարեբախտաբար կորուստներ չունենք

    Опубликовано Դավիթ Թորոսյան Воскресенье, 27 сентября 2020 г.

Sputnik

from Blogger https://ift.tt/2S2Hf0i
via IFTTT